Saturday, August 20, 2005

Why I'm Terrified That I Wish I Carried A Watermelon

You know how I posted all about how I love the movie Dirty Dancing?

Tonight I was forwarded to someone's blog who actually listed Dirty Dancing in their profile under favorite movies.

And then curiosity got the better of me and I clicked on the word Dirty Dancing which brought me to this terrifying list of all the people at Blogger who have also listed Dirty Dancing amongst their favorite movies! This list is four pages long people! This list is filled with people named "sparkle fairy" and "fruit" and on the last page there is someone who lists her interests as: GOD, SINGING, DANCING, HUMAN VIDEO. Ummmmm...Human VIDEO?

Oh MY GOODNESS! This is at least twice as humiliating as when I discovered that they sell nose rings at Walmart and ten times as appalling as the fact that I now drive a minivan. Am I that woman? That woman who names her new blog Princess Buttercup and dresses her kids in matching outfits and reads People magazine every week?! (Holy shit, I do those things too! have you seen my new new blog, Princess Buttercup, by the way?)

My only defense is that I didn't actually list The Movie Which Can No Longer Be Named For Fear That Sparkle Fruit Shall Haunt Me Forever in a list of my favorite movies. In fact, if you were to actually peruse my profile you shall see that I was decidedly too cool to list any favorite movies or music. I don't want you to think you really "know" me or can somehow define me by my favorite choices.

Which, come to think of it, is exactly what I am doing with all the undoubtedly charming and intelligent people who appear on that dratted list. But seriously people, what the hell is HUMAN VIDEO?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have become the person I used to swear I'd never become, only I am doing it way cooler and with much more style than those I used to mock. (Hey, whatever gets me through the day, right?)

Anonymous said...

Human vidio is what you and Matt DID when you "danced", "performed", "mimed", People Need the Lord, at church wa-a-ay back in the dark ages. So now you know that you are included in that group too! Hah! Nonny

Anonymous said...

"Human Video" is the horror of acting out a song by one or more person/people. It often involves what people who act with any degree of professionalism call "mugging," it often is mistaken as mime by the people doing it, and it is most familiarly done by church "drama" groups. I pray you'll never be subjugated to such since it is the worst kind of embarrassment--that which you feel for others who don't know they should be feeling it for themselves.

Gloria said...

Wikipedia has an article on Human Video.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_video
It is written, in large part, by me so try to disregard the
gross spelling and grammatical errors. :P

While I agree with "anonymous" that it is often done with shockingly bad tecnique, it need not be disregarded as wholly ineffective.

If "anonymous" would like to see less unprofessionalism in the performance of Human Video, Perhaps "anonymous" ought to get of his/her arse and *do* something about it instead of lambasting people for their unintentional ignorance.

Incidentally, if "anoymous" would like to help me in my thesis work, I would appreciate their opinion.