Wednesday, August 17, 2005

On Chicken

Today, during a one hour marathon trip to Target with all three kids:

Me: (Laughing) Oh, Quin! You are such a silly chicken.*

Gabe: Yeah Quin, you're a silly chicken. Ha ha. (Think Simpson's sing song voice here.)

Quin: (Placidly) I's not a chicken. I's Quinny.



*Silly chicken is our traditional family moniker when playfully teasing. In fact, "chicken" has become the family default term of endearment in phrases such as "hungry chicken", "sleepy chicken", "dirty chicken" and the like. This was all begat by my friend Julie from Buffalo who commonly called her husband and any friend who came into her orbit some kind of a chicken. I imagine that now her children are all "chicken-ified" as well. It's nice, is it not? You are all my little "Internet Chickens". Awwww.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie continues to use her poultry-specific terms of endearment, as suspected. . . frequent choices include "sleepy", "crazy", "silly", "hungry", and, most notably, "sexy". In our home, nothing says "I want to know you in a Biblical way" like calling your loved one a sexy chicken.

She once accidentally insulted my younger sister when she called her a "silly chicken-head." This, apparently, is a well-known euphemism for one who frequently delivers BJs. Oops.

Mar said...

Aha Patrick! (The husband of the aforementioned Julie in Buffalo) I knew I could draw you out of lurkerdom with that one.

See what an influence you two have had on my already fairly developed cache of wackiness?

You guys have made my chicken list for a long long time.

(I's not a chicken. I's Patrick.)