Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Why I'm A Humongous Slacker (At Blogging That Is)

They say that most bloggers just bonk out/blog out/poop out within the first year. I am ashamed to say I can see how that happens. I think of myself as too good of a writer with too much to say to let that happen, but just look at my thread count for the month; pitiful!

I've been feeling plenty guilty for blogging so infrequently lately (and not just because some of you have been nagging me with pleas for new entries). Here is the list of reasons (excuses) I've been compiling in my mind:

1. I assume ya'll are tired of hearing about poop and vomit. It is a recurrent theme in my life but it seems so frequent and redundant lately that writing about it seems a bit boring and would be like rubbing my own face in it (figuratively). So, I haven't been writing about the many poop and vomit related escapades in my life recently (and always). It has nothing to do with squeemishness over poop and vomit, just its ubiquity.

2. I'm not totally freaking out for once. This may seem backwards, but freaking out feeds me or something. The more I freak, the more I write. So, now I just stay home and clean up poop and vomit and I have nothing to rant on about. Go ahead and call me Drama Queen. I will smear some poop on you.

3. I now have a TiVo in my bedroom and I can chill out and watch Starting Over or some other silly guilty pleasure to numb my brain. Okay. That's totally pitiful. But honest.

4. I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THE DAY GOES! I swear, I have a list of projects and books to read and my birth initiative to get off the ground here in Georgia and yet every day flies by with my being proud if I just managed to feed the kids a healthy dinner, read to them before bed, or empty the freakin' dishwasher, much less paint the bathroom (also on The List) or blog.

5. You've heard all my standard rants already. I've been known to repeat myself. To excessive lengths. Just ask Hubby. So, I'm trying to actually have something to say before I sully the internet with my ramblings. Maybe I'm setting the standard too high.

6. Since only like three of you comment with any frequency, I don't really feel like I know what you guys want me to blog about. I mean, I don't blog to please anyone, BUT it is gratifying to write things that you know others are enjoying. So gimme some love, people!

7. I have been a lot of trouble with my internet connection and frequently get booted off mid post, so I am anxious about writing some huge and definitive essay on, say, The Quality of Poop Expressed by a Potty Training Two Year Old, only to find it lost to the ether forever. Heartbreaking, I tell you.

8. The worst thing is: THE CONSTANT INTERRUPTIONS! Seriously, since I started this post, two and a half hours ago, I have been delayed by the neighborhood children arriving (damn school holiday breaks), the phone ringing, the dog barking to be let in, the neighborhood children ravaging my house, changing a poopy diaper, kicking the children out of my house, the dog barking to go out with the kids, an adult neighbor arriving to chat, making lunch for my children, kicking the neighborhood children out of my garage, putting Quin (already asleep on the sofa, naked, amidst the bedlam) in bed for her nap, the dog barking to come back in, nursing Peevers to sleep, and trying to get Gabe occupied working on some school work. So, I need to REALLY REALLY have something to say in order to break through the chaos and interruptions and write a nice juicy blog entry.


So, inspire me, hire me a doorman, or comment already, and maybe you'll get some sugar from me in the form of more frequent posting. And quit sending me harrassing emails. I have access to copious quantities of poop and vomit.

6 comments:

AnainBjorkquist said...

Don't know you but I feel your pain and I can sooo relate. I am a homeschooling mom of three boys. Technically the only one really getting homeschooled is the five year old but with a 2 year old and a 2 months old I can relate to poop and vomit. It is funny also how in my neighborhood others think that they can pop in and ask for favors since I only am a homeschooling mom I must do nothing.

Blogging is great though, I just recently found out this, for getting things off ones chest. I just started adn wish my friends and family (that I know are reading it bc they comment in emails) woudl reply as well. I guess that even if we do this for ourselves somehow we still want approval or to know that we are important.

Life is so busy, isolating, and random that Thank-God for blogging. I read your post and thought OMG we are living parallel lives. No you are not a drama queen ranting is good for taking a time out from what ever the kids/hubby have done, TiVo is great we need one, we moved in 8 months ago are still painting and have things in boxes or closet floors, and please keep rambling. I'd like to hear that essay so write it. You can add to it how my two oldest when potty training have both said bye-bye to their pee-pee's and poo-poo's. My oldest one would cry hystericlly if I'd accidently flush HIS poop to the point where I almost thought, "Do I owe him a poop now for him to flush?". Also, if you write your blog in word and then cut and paste it into blogger you won't have to worry about your bad connection.

Poop and vomit what an array of colors, textures and smells!-The life of a mother.

Thanks for blogging it is therapy for more than just yourself.

LA

Kerry said...

As I only have two commenters on my blog, I feel obligated to leave a comment on yours.

I would like to hear more about the poop and vomit, about the books that you don't have time to read, and about the contents of the plates before they made their way into the dishwasher (in other words what you fed your family for dinner!)

Just blog. It doesn't matter what comes out, just do it. Write something for us to read!

And thank you!

K

Sarah said...

just your everyday adventures - from bats in basements, to children's responses to "penises" (in mothering magaizine's circumsicion article), to your adventures in bureaucracy land - those simple yet entertaining aspects of everyday life are the entries I truly enjoy. and the pictures you share are always a plus, too.

so far as your unstable connection to the internet, you might want to type your entry in a .txt file, or at least back it up there periodically when working on an entry. nothing is more frustrating than losing something you've put so much though and energy into writing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mar. This is your cousin Michelle from the frozen tundra a/k/a Northern Wisconsin. I got your blog site at Gramma's 90th birthday party and I have to say that I really enjoy reading about anything you ever have to say. I haven't had the privilege to be close to you or your children, but as of recent, it's meant a lot to be able to log on and see all my cousins (and second counsins!) and to hear what is new in your world. I am even printing out some photos for Gramma to see - as she misses all of her grandchildren as well! I sometimes laugh histerically at what you have to say (or don't have to say) and even though you don't even know I am reading it, in some wierd way I can think that I knew my long distance cousins...even if only through the world wide web. Keep writing!

Anna Banana said...

Aha! so my whining paid off! You posted a new entry! Horray!!!

I miss you, I miss you, I miss you, I miss you!!!! Thanksgiving didn't feel right without the kids running about the farm.... without you spouting off some childbirth / parenting blather that rocks the silly insipid pond most parents are paddling around in. It wasn'rt the same with out Hubby rolling his eyes at our "Maurerness" and declaring it "Time to go!" It wasn't the same without Gabe's eyes glazing over with sugar ingestion and tickles with Uncle Jerome.....
I miss you.

Your post gave me such a vivid picture of your new house and the activity going on in it. I miss being a part of the chaos.

Love

Anonymous said...

Write, write, write! I am delighted with "poopie emergencies", poor hubby sitting at the top of the stairs surrounded by neighborhood children :-), Gabe speaking like a "cool kid" instead of the innocent naked jaybird he was just a few months ago. Pebhers new tricks, and then there's Quinnie the true Drama Queen. The day Gabe went to school had me bawling with you.
Now, of course, I am Nonny, and I can spend a half hour on the phone listening to Quin "show" me her new house, or Gabe tell me about his favorite computer game, but everyday meals, messes, books started and long unfinished, vomit, flowers, and walks in the rain is what life is about. You know you express yourself in a way that makes us all laugh out loud, but what seems so commonplace and untextworthy to you is delightful or touching to us. (i.e., the photos of Gabe's trail of spoons in the Iowa house.)
Thanks for letting us see through the windows of your home, and through the window of your heart. We don't care if it is simply blather about staying sane in your world. I'm busy trying to stay sane in mine, and I think most of your readers are also.
Love, love, love. I miss you, but I think I miss the kids even more. Nonny
Besides, who else has a home where Batman doesn't hold his stomach in?