Thursday, November 03, 2005

Mr. Pine's Purple House

Welcome to Suburbia! (Hell, that is.)


This is where I live. Scarier than the last week of Halloween photos, no?

This setting and home are so terrifyingly unlike my usual taste that it is taking me a while to really settle into that "homey" feeling.

I had a British book when I was kid, called "Mr. Pine's Purple House" which featured a row of identical houses much like this. The protagonist, the aforementioned Mr. Pine, could never find his house in the eerie conformity of his neighborhood and retaliated by painted his house bright purple. Of course, this inspired others near him, and soon the row of houses looked like something from the San Francisco hills. It was my early introduction to anarchy. Thanks Mom and Dad!

Sadly, I am bound by community covenances as well as strapped by a lack of cash, so my house will never be purple. I'd never go for that option anyway. I'd love to do some kickass landscaping and add a bunch of trees and shrubs (A Shrubbery!) and such out front, but that will have to wait for a bit. But in its defense, it has a nice large lot, tons of trees out back, and a great school district. So, there you have it.

The inside of the house is much more personalized. I have plans for more creativity inside eventually as well. I have prepared a flickr slideshow for those of you who want a peep inside for now. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary---Where's the STEAM SHOWER ?!?

Anonymous said...

oooooooooooooo.....
really?
seriously?
well that just proves the evolution of us all & the old saying that home is where the heart is / where you hang your hat / lay your head / snuggle up with your hubby & small chicken creatures that came from your womb.
I can't wait to see it in person.
I think it is the soccer mini van in the driveway that most makes me snicker... goth grl.