Friday, December 02, 2005

You Never Know Where the Conversation Will Go

Gabe and I discovered a large-ish spider crawling on his towel as he got out of the bath. He was (understandably) creeped out by this and asked that I "get it" for him. I proposed wrapping it in toilet paper and throwing it in the toilet, which he was all for.

But then, as I flushed the toilet, the questions began.

Gabe: Mom, where did the spider go?

Me: I flushed it. It went in our septic system.

Gabe: What else could we have done with it?

Me: Well, we could have put it outside, but it would freeze at night and it would die. We could leave it to crawl around our house but I don't want it to crawl around on me when I am sleeping so I would rather not keep it in our house.

Gabe: Me neither!

Me: Actually, I kinda squished it a bit when I picked it up with the toilet paper.

Gabe: So, it's dead. Spiders can die?

Me: Yup. It's dead. Everything dies eventually.

Gabe: Even you and me?

Me: Yes, but we probably won't die for a long long time and we will be very old.

Gabe: Old, like Papa (Hubby)?

Me: NO, much much older. Like a Grandpa.

Gabe: (Aghast and a bit emotional) But I don't want to be old.

Me: Why not? (starting to feel bad for all my frank talk)

Gabe: I don't want to have hair grow out of my nose.

Me: (Chortling) It's okay Gabe. You don't have to let hair grow out of your nose, even when you are very old.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

...can't type... still laughing... you should have shown him hubby's nose hair trimmers... haven't laughed this hard in a very long time...i'll have to read it again later & laugh some more...have I mentioned the whole silly chicken part...

Sarah said...

hahahahaa!!!

aaawwww... I don't want to get old like grandpa either!

and if it is just the nose hair's he's worried about, that's a good thing, because that should be the least of his worries. be sure to inform him on the nifty invention of nose clippers ;)

great conversation. great story. thanks for sharing! :o)

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.