Friday, September 21, 2007

When in Buffalo

This week I have been in Buffalo, NY visiting friends and working.

I put it in that order because normally when I travel it is ALL about work and then a little bit 'o fun in the form of maybe dinner with colleagues or whatever. But this time, the fun has been much more significant.

During the day, I've been doing my usual work stuff (visiting schools and doctors, etc), but in the evening I've been hanging out with old school friends; a family of five, including three small children. Sounds familiar, no?(Hang on, how many kids do I have? I thought it was 97.) And slightly insane of me?

What it I told you that last night, ON PURPOSE, we went to a real sit-down (non-fastfood) restaurant, after 7:30 pm, with said three small children? That wouldn't seem like a sound decision would it? But we still had fun. I had twice as much fun as anyone else because they weren't MY three small children and therefore their antics AMUSED me rather than invoked my normal response which would have been drinking in excess and wanting to gouge my eyes out with a spoon.

How is it that other people's kids are CUTE AS HELL when they cry and blow snot bubbles and spill tomato juice on their brother and mine are NOT so cute?

Other highlights of Buffalo: Umm. Falafel?

I'm a freak.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only other highlight of Buffalo you could come up with is "falafel"? Nice work, Pep Talk. How 'bout the awesome weather we had, the quaint neighborhood shops, or the super-friendly local folk, for starters?
Forgive my defensive tone, but we have a city-wide insecurity complex as it is -- don't do us any further favors, lady!

We really enjoyed the visit, Mar -- glad to have time to slow down and catch up. We owe your clan a housecall next -- stay tuned.

Patrick

P.S. Is incorrigible cardboard recyclable?

Mar said...

Patrick,

I stand corrected. Buffalo has more than just exemplary falafel and your darling children to speak for its merits.

Let's not forget the extraordinary service at my hotel, the enchanting singing voices of the drunks on Elmwood at three in the morning and the lovely local artist who deigned to speak for us while getting sushi.

KIDDING! You know I'd come back tomorrow if that were possible.

Seriously.